November 17, 2010

Why I persist in writing in English?


Why do I blog in English one of my best friends often asks me? Why do it in a language you do not master? Why not write in Swedish instead? First then you will be able to change something!

I have often thought about this too. Why persist in something doomed to fail?

In 2002 I applied for a job I really wanted. It was a Swedish Insurance company – boat insurances – with customers all over the world. I was supposed to be a project leader for a new website and be the creative designer for some exclusive yearly prints.

I came there in my best silk shirt, black feminine jacket, black pants and high heels. I had bought a new leather handbag - the colour of cognac. I was classy and sophisticated and I knew I could do that work. I even matched the design of that office. Dark blue carpets, teak and brass. But I must admit I was a bit more elegant than wearing brass - I had gold instead.

I knew I was perfect for that job. Full of self confidence I entered the room for the interview.


(I guess I already have made so many mistakes that you smile – that is OK. Go on smiling!)

What I hadn´t prepared myself for was the English test. After thirty minutes they gave me a text to translate. My heart started to beat. I had already bragged about my years in computer business and how well I could handle the English language. On top of that they gave me lousy laptop with an internal mouse. I couldn´t handle that device at all and definitely not the English language in those twenty minutes.

And guess what – I failed!
At second sentence I was stuck. The word was “verksamhetsutveckling” and I felt “business development” wasn´t the right word. I thought about the management consultants at former employer. These we called “verksamhetsutvecklare”. I tried to cool down but failed….I was lost that moment.

No I didn´t get that job. Beside my nerves at the English test I also had failed in telling the employer I could manage the usability tests myself. It was all in my CV and I even spoke about it but that message didn´t get through. I had failed to tell them and I failed the English test. I am sure about this since I got feedback a week later.

So what did I do?
I promised myself never to fail in an English test again and never to lose a job opportunity because being unprepared. I promised myself to read and write in English on daily basis

And so I did. For seven years I wrote at American salsa forums, then on Facebook, then on Twitter and now in my blogs. I know I fail every day but I cannot help it. I am determined - I will master the English language good enough one day. Good enough for being a grammar school student or at least an dyslexic American. Besides I love English.

This has gone so far now so as soon as I want to write something at all I think in English. From the very first moment. I take notes in English too without my intention. I even dream in English but do I speak English on daily basis? No I have no one to practice on ...yet I must add. I speak English in the salsa community and that is great. But I want MOOOOOORE!

So smile if you want to. I like making people smile. If my struggle here at this blog can make you smile - I am happy.

I am sure I one day will work for an international company, having conferences on luxurious yachts, then slip into a pool having a drinks with small umbrellas & pineapple slices and then watch the dolphins swimming around the boat in the sunset.

So smile and meet me at the poolside!
 

3 comments:

  1. Please - you may correct my language. I am here to improve my English, my working skill and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am not the only lingo nazi in your circle of friends, eh?

    Betti, I believe it's your prerogrative to write in any language you want, at any level you can master. I still find amusement in your texts.

    The other day, we had this lecturer at work, he was one of those hundreds of consultants making good money standing in front of people at different work places, telling revolutionizing secrets like "Stress is not good for you", "We should all try 'n' find sources of joy in our lives", and so on. A nice bloke in all, symphatetic and good looking. But he made these hissing Darth Vader-like sounds after every other sentence, especially when he figured he had made a point. In all honesty, It drove me crazy and many of my colleagues felt the same way. Even if he HAD anything substantial to say, we would have great difficulties to take it in, because of these horrible, distracting sounds. Nothing wrong with peculiar breathing, mind you! Nothing wrong with cellulite and lard either, but never in my life would I even think of becoming a model for Victoria's Secret. This guy can without anyone's objection work as a lecturer, though.

    To get to the point - I sometimes feel in a similar way when I read a text with too much sloppy spelling and unattended keyboard slips. If these things become too disturbing to the eye, the message (no matter how important or great) may totally lose impact. And it's so much more essential when it comes from people that call themselves professionals in information handling! So I guess I would have written my messages in a language depending on my purpose, language practising or making statements.

    Luckily, not all people are nazis like myself. Keep on writing Betti, just like you have until now. Meanwhile, I should probably go and find myself a good therapist. :-)

    Big hugs and all the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks super duper friend. With a friend like you I need no enemies ;-) But as always I am happy to meet you.

    I have a few native friend who things "I am a bit hard on myself" *giggling*. But I love you for the one you are. And I do think I improve...in time.

    BIG HUGS!
    And please come back and comment. I am a masochist regarding feedback. You know it.

    ReplyDelete